Skip navigation
Print Version

OU University of Oklahoma Human Resources University of Oklahoma Human Resources
The University of Oklahoma Human Resources WebsiteOU Campus Building

US Citizen Services

ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable. More >

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.  U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport.  U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Americans Traveling Abroad

Learn about the background and entry requirements for Americans traveling abroad. The US State Department’s alphabetical listing of countries will allow you to view specific entry requirements and includes information on passports, visas, immunizations, medical information, additional fees, and conditions abroad that may affect your safety and security. Read More >

Insurance, Medicare & Medicaid, Medical Evacuation


Obtaining medical treatment and hospital care abroad can be expensive, and medical evacuation to the U.S. can cost more than $50,000. Note that U.S. medical insurance is generally not accepted outside the United States, nor do the Social Security Medicare and Medicaid programs provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States. 


You should always check current your insurance policy before traveling abroad to ensure you have all the necessary coverage.  If your insurance policy does not cover you abroad, it is a good idea to consider purchasing a short-term policy that does. There are health insurance policies designed specifically to cover travel. Many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas including emergency services such as medical evacuations.


Some countries require foreign visitors to have inoculations or medical tests before entering. Before traveling, check the latest entry requirements with the foreign embassy of the country to be visited.


Department of State Travel Resources:

OU Group Insurance Resources:

  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Oklahoma BlueAccess for OU members (Medical Benefit Coverage)

NOTE: Medical coverage may not contain medical evacuation or repatriation of bodily remains (see above).


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released The Citizen’s Almanac, a publication specifically developed for new citizens. The Citizen’s Almanac is a collection of America’s most cherished symbols of freedom and liberty. The Almanac links our newest citizens with the rich civic history we all share as Americans.