J-1 Student Employment

J-1 students may engage in two general categories of employment:
  1. Academic training related to their course of study before and after completion of their studies.
  2. Other employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity.
Although each type of employment has its own unique criteria and regulatory limits, each type does have one thing in common: You MUST obtain written approval from your Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer at your international student services office prior to beginning any type of employment as a J-1 student. Contact International Student Services at iss@ou.edu