Payroll Calendars & Actions

Payroll actions and processes are different depending on whether the action is for a Norman program or an HSC program. 

HSC Payroll

Contact HSC Payroll Services for payroll questions in HSC programs.

Norman Payroll

Norman Payroll Calendars
Campus: Norman
Campus: Norman
Campus: Norman
3 Results Results

Review guidelines for reporting leave, time, and holidays here. 

Hourly Employees 

Use the paper supplemental pay form for hourly employees or terminated employees unless otherwise instructed by HR Payroll & Employee Services. The form must be completed and approved by the appropriate approvers before the supplemental pay is entered into the PeopleSoft time entry system. Internal Auditing audits this information.

The department is responsible for entering a supplemental pay request for the current pay period. The form should be retained in the department's files.

HR Payroll & Employee Services must enter supplemental payments for previous pay periods and flat rate payments to hourly employees. Questions about whether or not an employee can be paid a flat rate supplemental should be directed to HR Employment & Compensation and/or the Provost Office.

Salaried Employees

Supplemental payments for active salaried employees should be submitted through the ePAF Addidtional Pay. Once the ePAF has been submitted, DO NOT enter the supplemental payment through time entry. Doing so will result in an overpayment to the employee. 

NOTE: The individual who prepares the supplemental payment form cannot sign as an approver at any level on the form.

Terminated Employees

Terminated employees that need to be paid a one-time supplemental must complete and submit an I-9 (with supporting documents) and Loyalty Oath to Payroll and Employee Services with the supplemental form. The paying department will need to submit a rehire ePAF effective the first day the work was done as noted on the supplemental pay form. Your department will still be out of compliance with federal hiring regulations if the I-9 is not completed and E-verified within 3 business days from the date on the rehire ePAF. 

Emergency checks are made available to assist employees who did not receive a pay check and are unable to wait for the next scheduled pay date for payment. Emergency checks cannot be issued for additional earnings such as supplemental pay, retroactive payments, bonus pay, or stipends. 

The departmental representative should complete the Emergency Check Request Form. No payment will be issued without the signature of the employee to be paid and an authorized departmental representative. Return the completed form to Payroll and Employee Services, 905 Asp Ave, NEL 244, Norman, OK 73069.

If the employee receives direct deposit of their payroll check, the emergency check could be directly deposited into the same bank account. It generally takes seven (7) business days to process payment once the form and backup documentation has been received. Contact Payroll and Employee Services with questions. 

For reporting minutes worked that are less than an hour, round minutes to the nearest tenth of an hour. The following chart is to be used when converting all fractional hours from minutes to tenths for entry of time on the hourly time record. Fractions of an hour less than six minutes are not recorded.

06 to 08 minutes = .1
09 to 14 minutes = .2
15 to 20 minutes = .3
21 to 26 minutes = .4
27 to 32 minutes = .5
33 to 38 minutes = .6
39 to 44 minutes = .7
45 to 50 minutes = .8
51 to 56 minutes = .9
57 to 60 minutes = 1 hour

Hourly and Monthly Paid Leave and Extended Sick Leave Reports

The Paid Leave and Extended Sick Leave reports are available for eligible hourly and monthly paid employees. These reports allow departments to track paid leave and extended sick leave accrual and usage. Detailed information concerning the Paid-Leave Policy is provided in the Staff Handbook. These reports are located in Peoplesoft under OU Manage Time and Earnings,OU Reports. Directions for running reports in PeopleSoft HR Production and PeopleSoft HR Reporting databases are provided for departmental use.

Payroll Extracts

Payroll Extracts provide information regarding employees who are paid from each account and the amounts they are paid. The extracts are used by departments to verify that payments are correct and that no errors have occurred prior to payroll checks being issued.  If errors are identified on the Payroll Extract, your technician in Payroll & Employee Services should be notified immediately. Directions for running payroll extracts are provided for departmental use.

Salaried Employees

Pay rate changes for salaried employees can be effective on any day of the month. The PAF to change the rate of pay must be submitted to Payroll and Employee Services before the current monthly PAF deadline. If the PAF is received after the monthly deadline, any necessary retro payments will be calculated by Payroll and Employee Services and added to the next monthly payroll. 

If the pay rate change is to reduce an employees monthly pay and the PAF has not been approved by Payroll and Employee Services before the current monthly deadline, please contact Payroll and Employee Services and advise your department's HR payroll technician as soon as possible. 

Hourly Employees

Pay rate changes for hourly employees must begin on the first day of a pay period. The PAF to change the rate of pay must be received by Payroll and Employee Services before the current hourly PAF deadline. If the rate change must begin on a day other than the first day of the pay period, the rate change will not be processed until the beginning of the next hourly payroll. The department will need to submit a Supplemental Pay/Payroll Correction form to pay the employee for the difference in the rates of pay for the hours worked. This amount will be paid on the current hourly payroll in which we receive the completed Supplemental Pay/Payroll Correction form as long as the PAF to change the rate of pay has been received and processed by Payroll.

All pay rate change PAF's must have proper signatures before Payroll and Employee Services will process them. 

Any nine-month faculty being paid with summer money (whether they are paid 9/9 or 9/12) will require an Additional Pay ePAF. Distribution for the summer pay should be shown on the ePAF.  Please do not send an Earnings Distribution Request (EDR) for such distributions to the Budget Office.

Monthly faculty salaries may be no more than one-ninth of the 9-month contract salary in a given month. The following is an example of how to calculate the amount of summer money a faculty can receive in May, June, July or August.

Calculating Salary for May and August

Annual Rate of Pay divided by 9, divide by 2

($40,000 / 9 = 4,444.44 / 2 = 2,222.22 for May and August)

Calculating Salary for June and July

Annual Rate of Pay divided by 9

($40,000 / 9 = 4,444.44 for June and July)

Use the Budgeted Rate

Please use the budgeted rate for calculating summer money and not the annual rate of pay on JOB; the annual rate amount could reflect a blended rate depending on salary changes during the year. The budgeted rate is located in PeopleSoft on the JOB page under the 'compensation' tab.  Colleges are given the discretion of allowing July and half of August to be paid to faculty receiving ranked promotion increases at their new rate.  These increases will not be updated on the budgeted rate until August 16th.   

In almost every circumstance, gifts, prizes and awards given to university employees are reportable as income and are included in the recipient's taxable wage if the gift is paid for by the university. If the gift, prize, or award is cash, it should be processed as a supplemental payment (see above tab) and must be paid through the payroll system with appropriate taxes withheld. Non-cash gifts, prizes, or awards should be reported to payroll by the department initiating the gift, prize, or award. The fair market value of the item is taxable and will be reported on the recipients W-2.

The department may choose to pay the employee's share of taxes on a gift, prize, or award; however, the taxes paid by the employer are taxable wages to the employee. 

Please contact Payroll and Employee Services if you have any questions regarding the payment of gifts, awards, and prizes.